I wrote this on Feb 3rd, but the email system has been down so I couldn't get it out until now...
Last night, after my Chinese lesson, there was a dance on the ship. It was a mismatched theme, so everyone dressed crazy! Everyone crammed into the Union (the largest classroom on the ship) and it was basically turned into a nightclub. There were lots of lights, but the hip hop music wasn't really my style. It was fun to dance around with everyone regardless of the poor music choice. I mostly just skipped around the outside though because it was too hot and crammed in the middle.
My friend, Toben, won the costume contest, of course, with his neon green Italian underwear pulled over some sort of white jumpsuit. I think he won more for his outrageous dance moves that his outfit; he can definitely out dance the rest of us. He's ridiculous, but incredibly entertaining. After getting completely covered in sweat (both my own and probably some of the people's around me, gross, I know, but whatever) I retired to my cave-like cabin and slept wonderfully.
This morning I had to meet with my architecture professor to discuss my topic for our report. I think I will research the town of Nagarcoil, India because I am doing a village stay there so I will have some time to get to know the surrounding and ask questions. Plus, I imagine that it will be a great example of a sustainable community. Then, in the afternoon they took a picture of all the students on the back of the ship. The rest of my day has been devoted to researching information on Japan and trying to figure out my game plan. I have no idea what I will be doing the first day, I think I might just wander around Yokohama and see what I find. Or perhaps I will find an interesting (and small) group of people to tag along with to Tokyo. My Chinese friends, Chen Y Long (but he goes by Max), Tian and Shaolom as well as Emerson (the one student from Thailand) are planning a trip to Osaka and I may try to meet them a few days later. Max, Tian and I will be going on a SAS sponsored trip to Hiroshima along with my friend Nils and several others. After, we are thinking of visiting the island of Miyajima, which is home to one of Japan's most spectacular shrines.
I will be meeting up with my friend Akiko, who lives in Yokohama, and she is going to show me around a bit. It will be very nice to see Japan with an insider! I think we may visit Kamakara and make prayers for the New Year at one of the city's many wonderful temples. Of course, we will also do some karaoke! What would a visit to Japan be without Karaoke?!?! According to my friend Yudai it is possible to sleep in the karaoke bars. That seems strange to me, but he says it is common because each group rents out their own room for karaoke and sometimes you drink too much to make it home... lol. However, I'd rather stay with my friend than in a karaoke bar.
Now is definitely the time for planning since there are only a few days between ports after we hit Japan. Luckily, I don't think I'm planning anything for China. My friend wants to film a documentary in Shanghai so we are just going to wander the city for 5 days :) Although Max also invited us to his house, so that may be a possibility as well. He also suggested that we wake up really early and exercise with the old people and then ask them to take us to the vegetable market. I'm sure there will be many adventures to come!
Well... I guess I should do some homework... its just so much less exciting than researching countries!
Ta ta for now!
Sunday, February 7, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment