Tales of World Travel

“We live in a wonderful world that is full of beauty, charm and adventure. There is no end to the adventures we can have if only we seek them with our eyes open.” – Jawaharial Nehru

It is rare that one has the opportunity to travel the world. The chance to wander our vast planet and observe what it and its people have to offer was something I could not pass up. As one of the lucky students of Semester at Sea, I shall spend the next three and a half months circumnavigating the globe. From Hong Kong to Saigon to Salvador, the ports are diverse and widespread. Join me and my wanderlust as we explore the world!

Monday, February 8, 2010

Almost to Japan!


Yesterday was our first Global Studies test. Everyone was freaking out all day long. I wasn't too worried though, but then again, I actually read and engage myself in lecture. The test wasn't too bad, I know I put the wrong location for Indonesia, but other than that I think I did very well. I also had my first test in Waste Around the World (which everyone agreed was ridiculously easy) and Science and History of the Nuclear Age (which I received a perfect score on, the teacher said he was very impressed). So classes are going well so far.

After the Global Studies test, we had our first “packing day” for Vicarious Voyage, VV is a program where voyagers send letters and mementos to a classroom back in the States and the students “live vicariously” through our adventures. Myself and two other girls (one who's from UCSB) are sponsoring a first-grade classroom in Hillborough, CA. We put together a little booklet on our adventures in Hawaii. I included a brochure from the aquarium as well as a drawing of me in a Banyan tree and a piece of lava rock. The girls also put in a lei and some other notes. One of them wanted to put in a newspaper from Pearl Harbor that was covered with bombing, but the other two of us vetoed that. First-graders do not need to be exposed to the sorrows of war. She was upset and insisted its an important part of US history and they should know. She didn't seem to care that they are only six years old. Whatever though, majority rules so we didn't include it.

Then there was a coffeehouse in the evening. Coffeehouse is kinda like our talent show. People share their songs, poems, dances, basically whatever they want. These two guys, Talon and Max, did a hilarious comedy song about what they would do on their last day. It reminded me a lot of Flight of the Concords. A few people sang karaoke, including Tom and Emerson. I performed a song/poem that I wrote. It was the first time I've ever performed solo in front of a crowd like that and I was really nervous. Apparently no one could tell though, so I guess that means I did a good job. Here's the song I wrote, I sang it in a silly voice (kinda like Kimya Dawson's)...

I try to speak what I feel
For I know the emotions inside my heart
but finding the words to appeal
to those of another is a challenging art

because for each there is a window
from which we view the world
and each is tinted by your unique glow
no one else can see how your life unfolds

that glow gives you your own perspective
changing the meaning of your reality
you can't avoid becoming subjective
but try to see the effects in totality

and look beyond what are just words
think critically about what you're told
don't just follow the sound of the herds
or gawk at the labels and the gold

for glitz and glamor won't take you anywhere
on the path to finding peace
let love and laughter flourish everywhere
and to heaven you will find the keys

for heaven is not a place for the dead
its a place right here on earth
just get out of your own little head
let your soul undergo its rebirth

embrace the color of each little window
the colors from all over the world
we'll all bask in the peaceful glow
let the web of understanding unfold

So try to speak what you feel
understand the emotions inside your heart
we'll no longer need words to appeal
and our dreams of world peace can start


I received a lot of complements on the song and most people really want me to perform again. I guess I'll have to write some more stuff... or maybe I'll just sing some of my favorite Moldy Peaches or Brett Dennen songs...

Today was Asia Day. There were several seminars throughout the day regarding Japan, China, and Vietnam. I gave a presentation on the Volcanoes and Earthquakes of Japan. In retrospect, however, I wish I hadn't given the talk because it meant I missed out on a lot of other stuff that was going on. Plus, I only presented to four people, my professor, his wife and two “lifelong learners”. Not many people on this ship are into this stuff I guess... several people claimed to be really interested but they didn't show. Oh well...

I did manage to make it to the end of the Fudan University students' presentation on culture in China. We learned some Chinese papercutting and a traditional dance. I love those students! They are so lively and friendly! I feel like I'm becoming closer to them than most of the Americans on the ship.

Then there was spiritual dance! I really needed to dance; I'd been feeling kinda down most of the day. Some girl was making fun of my birthmark because the hair made her uncomfortable. She claimed to think my tattoo was cool, but she clearly thought it would be better if I had the birthmark removed rather than embrace it. I just kept putting my arm by her face and watching her squirm. I found it very entertaining since she was so insensitive towards me and my friend Amber (she was asking Amber about the braids in her hair and said “I just don't get black people's hair”- ridiculous). It amazes me how insensitive some people can be.

The combination of that and the lack of people at my presentation was getting my down so dance was just what I needed. It made me feel much better to get all sweaty and gross and be so close to other people. I've been feeling rather lonely, so any human connection is welcome. I can't wait to get off this ship and into port... I really need a change of scenery.

Tomorrow we arrive in Japan! We are delayed a couple hours because we've encountered some rough weather in the last few days. Originally they expected to be delayed an entire day! Luckily the weather cleared up and the ship went full speed ahead to catch up.

I think Mike, Brittney and I are going to wander into Tokyo and see what adventures we find. We're going to try and find a hostel to stay in and then in the morning I have to return to the ship for an FDP on Yokohama's Waterworks. Afterward, Akiko is meeting me at the port and she's going to take me out for sushi and karaoke. I can't wait!!! I'll be staying with her that night and then we will visit Kamakura the next day to make prayers for the new year! Then off to Kobe, Hiroshima and Miyajima! It will be an exciting five days in Japan!

My Neighbor Totoro is on TV right now. I wish I had a big Totoro to cuddle with!!!

Sayonara!

2 comments:

  1. i'm so excited every time you update your blog, and i'm of course living vicariously through you as well!

    about the girl who made comments about a black girls hair, she may not have meant it in a negative way, if she hasn't been exposed to many races other than her own she may have just been curious about seeing a new type of hair.

    are you putting pictures up anywhere during your travels?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to put pictures up but I need to figure out how to change the format of them so that they are smaller. Right now they are too large to post over hte ship's limited bandwidth. I will try tho. If you look on the semester at sea website (semesteratsea.org) they put up a "week in pictures" slideshow and I sometimes add photos to that thru the ship, so maybe check that out sometime and you'll see me :)

    Thanks for following! it makes me feel loved!

    ReplyDelete